It is widely accepted that one could never go wrong with timeless and classic hardwood flooring. Hardwood floors are an excellent way to add value and comfort to our home. However, our floors are exposed to different elements which make it necessary to maintain our floors so that they stand the test of time. Hardwood floors require regular attention and maintenance to keep them in pristine condition.
There are some simple ways to maintain the shine and look of hardwood floors. For homeowners with glossy hardwood floors as well as those looking to add these floors to their home, it is important to take better care of their floor to preserve the look of hardwood.
1. Regular Cleaning: Make sure to get rid of dirt and grime with a vacuum or dust mop. It’s best to use a microfiber duster to pick up dust, dirt, and pet hair. Also, to get the shine, you can steep 1 tea bag in 2 cups of boiling water and once it cools down, wipe the floor with a slightly wet mop.
2. Safe Cleaning Product: The cleaning product you use must be safe and suitable for the surface. Floors have different finishes (polyurethane, oil, or wax) and the product you use must be safe to prevent any damage to the floor finish.
3. Take off your shoes: For better protection and cleanliness, it is best to follow a no-shoe policy for all types of footwear. This is because our shoes carry dirt and sand particles which can over time damage our floor. Make sure to leave stilettos, tap shoes and boots at the door and use doormats.
4. Prevent Scratches: To protect floors from scratches, add felt pads and surface protectors to furniture legs. It is important to replace protectors timely, especially for frequently used furniture like the kitchen and dining chairs. Rugs are the one must-have item with hardwood flooring as it is not only a decorating piece, but also act as a floor protector. In case you find any scratches, simply take a crayon of the wood’s color and rub it on the scratch to fill the gap. Next, heat that crayon applied area with high speed blow dryer.
5. Monthly inspection: To increase the lifespan of your floors, monthly inspect floors and make sure to check under the rugs. If you notice any discoloration, apply a fresh topcoat.
6. Yearly Maintenance: It is natural that our wood floors may get affected by the environment and develops some gaps between boards during dry seasons. If you notice any such change, take help of a humidifier or certified professional wood flooring company. After three to five years, you may consider adding a fresh coat of finish. What makes wood floors most favored choice is their ability to become new with a fresh finishing coat and a deep cleaning. They can be refinished seven to ten times and after a few decades, you may consider to sand and refinish wood floors to get that sparkling brand new floors again.