The right material handling equipment can make your, and your employee’s lives much easier by improving efficiency, increasing productivity and saving money. Depending on the material you’re handling, you’ll have to find the best way to get work done! Below are a few tips on choosing the right material handling equipment.
- Right Equipment for the Job
Every material calls for a different kind of handling technique and there is specific equipment to handle every kind of material. You need to ask certain questions like- what one has to do with the material. How sensitive is the material? How often it needs to be handled? How the material will be stored or processed? The nature of the goods also needs to be considered- are they chemicals or perishables. What form are the materials in- palletised, on spools or in some other form?
Knowing the needs of your material will help you make the best choice of material handling equipment. For instance, reach trucks are more appropriate for picking up pallets or cases whereas order pickers are used when materials need to be picked individually.
2. Function of the material and Space available
Three main function are served by material handling equipment-
- Handling bulk materials: Equipment like trucks, silos, elevators, drums and conveyors are mostly required for handling bulk materials as these can help in moving, manipulating and processing your materials especially when you handle bulk materials by the piece.
- Storing material: If you need to store materials for long periods of time don’t need to move frequently, then investing in materials like shelving, racks, pallets and containers would be sensible.
- Using Automation: For easier movement and processing of materials, invest in automated materials. This will also help you save time, space and money.
While buying equipment, space of your facility also needs to be taken into consideration. The rack type, tack aisle width, and ceiling eight will determine the kind of equipment you can make use of. Costs can go up if the space is which operations are to be held is narrower.
3. Processing and Customization Needs
The processing and customization of your materials will dictate the kind of equipment you need. If the manufacturing process requires a lot of moving parts such as processes for filling drums, totes or other containers, conveyors with scales for weighing materials or high-speed processes for packaging materials then heavy duty equipment would be required. And in order to keep the equipment in a top running condition, regular maintenance would be required.
Investing in a n automated system will allow you to make different kinds of customizations at different stages from start to finish even post-sales.
4. Safety Measures
Depending on the kind of work, you would be required to train your workers and provide them with proper equipment if they need to handle specialized processes or heavy materials on a daily basis. Familiarising them with the maintenance of equipment will also hep prevent accidents. It has been noted that worker injuries can be prevented by heavy lifting equipment and can also boost productivity.
Optimum Handling Solutions is your one stop shop for lifting, shifting & stacking needs! With a grand range of ergonomic material handling equipment from Spring Loaded Lift Table to Pallet Gate to Scissor Lift Tables and Mezzanine Safety Gate, Optimum Handling Solutions have everything to make your needs to lift, position, tilt, rotate and transfer faster, safer and easier.